5 On-Demand Medical Events in 2022
With 2022 coming to a close, The Rounds is highlighting a collection of five on-demand events led by top Canadian physicians across therapeutic areas. Continue reading to uncover the notable events that made this year one to remember.
1. Dr. Janet Pope (@Janetbirdope)
Rheumatology / Internal Medicine
Clinical Pearls with Dr. Janet Pope
Dr. Janet Pope is the Rheumatology division head at the University of Western Ontario. She led an event addressing rheumatology clinical pearls that highlighted the following objectives:
- Discuss clinical cases
- Explore differential diagnoses
- Understand advances and therapeutic options in rheumatology
2. Dr. Zain Chagla (@zchagla)
Infectious disease / COVID-19
Protecting your high-risk patients from COVID-19: Vaccinations, boosters, and what you need to know
Dr. Zain Chagla is an infectious disease physician at St. Joseph’s Healthcare in Hamilton, and an Associate Professor at McMaster University. In 2022 he hosted an event on The Rounds discussing how to protect your high-risk patients from COVID-19 with the following objectives:
- The need to vaccinate high-risk populations
- Guidance for vaccines & boosters in high-risk populations
- mRNA vaccines in high-risk populations
- Counselling tips for vaccination & boosters in high-risk patients
3. Dr. Sue Pedersen (@DrSuePedersen)
Endocrinology (type 2 diabetes)
Weight and glucose management in type 2 diabetes: What could the future look like?
Dr. Sue Pedersen completed her training as an endocrinologist at the University of Calgary and has a busy clinical endocrinology practice at the C-ENDO Diabetes & Endocrinology Clinic in Calgary. Dr. Pedersen’s on-demand event focused on type 2 diabetes and addressed the following topics:
- Identify individualized treatment goals and targets for each patient with type 2 diabetes with or without overweight/obesity
- Explain the importance of aligning type 2 diabetes treatment strategies with weight management in people with type 2 diabetes and overweight or obesity
- Cite examples of emerging treatment strategies for type 2 diabetes
4. Dr. Brian Bressler (@DiscoverIBD)
Journal Club: Practice-Changing Publications for Treating Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Dr. Brian Bressler is a Gastroenterologist at St. Paul’s Hospital and Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. He was featured in on-demand videos discussing key publications that have influenced his clinical practice when managing patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
5. Dr. Marla Shapiro (@DrMarla)
Breaking Habits, Not Bones: Exploring Osteoporosis Care in 2022
Dr. Marla Shapiro holds a Fellowship in Family Medicine and is currently a Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Toronto. Her on-demand Ask-The-Expert event addressed the following objectives:
- Distinguish between risk factors for low bone density vs fracture
- Determine when bone mineral density should be measured
- Understand how to implement a “treat-to-target” approach to individualize osteoporosis treatment
- Recognize how to effectively monitor patient response to therapy
Interested in participating in more on-demand medical events in 2023?
Gain 24/7 access to a library of presentations and educational materials for continued on-demand learning including top discussions with Canadian medical experts.